Friday, September 27, 2013

Train

Recently, I was on a train. It has been such a long time. I had to catch it early, which isn't a problem, as I don't sleep.

Before I reached my destination, the sun came up, allowing me to view lots of 'old style' railway stations. Just like those ones we used to watch as a kid, on a Sunday afternoon film. The ones where lovers and soldiers said goodbye, in bygone years, as they stepped on to the steam train.

Trains always make me feel nostalgic. Nostalgia's not what it used to be :-).

Sometimes I hark after that slower pace of life, where people wrote letters, using a fountain pen; where the only tweets were from the birds in the trees. Families used to eat together and stay together.

I used to hate travelling. Couldn't wait to get there. Wished my life away. Now, I see it as thinking time, where someone else takes the strain.

I think that nostalgia has a part to play when life catches you up and sometimes overtakes you. But, for me, to become too reflective, too introspective, seems to counter my resilience. It is a very personal view and is most certainly a question of degree. However, I think that resilience is hugely underrated by those who help others.

There is value in going back to visit a bad place, to re-jig it, to help it fit today, but to stay there is a different matter. 

So, back to the train. I saw this a long time ago (unsure where) and adapted it, when I tried to be of help to others (and myself).  I like it because it is simple and easy to remember. When life is hard and complicated; and you want to turn back, jump on the TRAIN....


T – Talking
Talking helps – it is cathartic and leads to solutions
Positive self talk
The power of affirmation and visualisation
Positive mental attitude

R – Relaxation
It helps
It takes practice – take time for your self

A – Activity
Plan to take exercise on a regular basis
It is a stress ‘buster’ and has many other health benefits
Try and go for a walk most days

I – Interests
Have a life outside work and home
Try and meet other people and let them meet you!
Have a balance in your life
Do something, just for you

N – Nutrition
A healthy body helps achieve a healthy mind

~~~~O~~~~

I hope this is of some help. Take good care. 









No comments: